1) Any striped sock goes with any other striped sock, of the approximate same texture.
2) Any cotton athletic sock goes with any other cotton athletic sock, of the approximate same length.
3) Any technical sock (e.g. smartwool, fleece) goes with any other technical sock.
4) No grey socks with brown shoes.
5) No brown socks with black shoes.
6) Pink socks go with anything, as do soft blue socks with little sheep on them.
7) Choose socks for texture and warmth over anything else.
8) The most bang for your clothing buck can come from splurging on socks. You can buy fabulous socks, luxurious and whimsical, at TJ Maxx, for not very much money, and when you pull them on you will feel warm and delighted, and they will make you feel like this every wearing until they have holes in them and you have to throw them out.
9) No socks with holes, no matter how well they have served you in the past.
My biggest problem with socks is how to store them. Does anyone have a good storage solution for socks? My best solution was a drawer with compartments, with striped socks in one, athletic socks in another, brown/black socks in one, and technical socks in one. But the truth is I only had three compartments in the drawer so one category was forever shifting and homeless, and would end up on the top of my bureau. Now most of my socks have migrated there. It's no good.