« All Requests: Deep Thoughts About Unrequited Love | Main | My Love Life Is None Of Your Business....Or Is It? »



I'm very impressed with the demolition!

A tip: Here at the Turbopalace, we have adopted the use of "shoes" during house-destruction project. These are sturdy devices, often made of leather, which encase the feet from all sides to provide protection against falling tiles, dropped tools, nails on the floor, etc. They are (I have learned) standard equipment for most construction professionals, and can be obtained almost anywhere.


It's a great feeling to know what's behind the paint, isn't it? This was a fun entry to read.

You've probably already thought of this, but if you don't already have the new 'rock, there is (or used to be) a variety made to resist moisture. Depending on where you get it, it could be called "MR Board" or "greenboard" (it often had a green tint) or something like that. It's significantly heavier than regular 'rock (we used to hate selling and delivering the stuff) but it will be more durable in a bathroom setting, even behind your planned fiberglass.

Are you doing the 'rock yourself?

mr. NBT

The idea of S. doing anything that involves a term like "the 'rock" just tickles me to no end.

Mr. Witchirfay

good work on the destruction of your home. feels good no ?

and I just noticed that a certain Mr. NBT is posting comments on your blog ... can we assume this is *the* Mr. NBT ? Nice to see he is already tickled about "the rock". I'm thinking "many carats" ...

Oh, and a question ... What are the rules for naming the Next Big Thing ? When does a certain "Mr. NBT" become Mr.(Current)BT ?

and yeah, do what dr. turbo says... buy yourself some umm "shoes"...


I hope Crowbar Girl knows Finish Carpenter Girl -- I always found demo to be loads of fun, but properly finishing the job to be mildly nerve-racking.

Carol Anne

Ahh, I remember a bathroom remodel, shortly after we bought our Albuquerque house, that involved discovering that a house built in the post-WWII materials shortage contained a lot of "interesting" materials ... the shower wall that we tore out included chicken wire, some really funky lumber, some plaster, some particle board, some tar paper, and even something that looked rather like driftwood. There was also a vent pipe from the shower drain to the roof that wasn't "supposed" to be there -- fortunately, we could leave a pony wall to enclose that pipe.

I agree with bill about Finish Carpenter Girl -- our shower, while functional, just doesn't look all that nice. If we ever sell the house, we're going to have to do some serious cosmetic work.

The comments to this entry are closed.